Water Damage can cause Mold
This is just the beginning stages of what black mold will look like. Mold can look different depending on the type of mold.
Intrusion of water into your home or place of business can result in mold growth. Water intrusions can result from storm damage, plumbing or equipment failures, long-standing leaks and poor humidity control. When water intrusions are not addressed right away, the resulting damage can present increased risk of harmful mold growth. Some amount of mold spores are normally present in most environments. If the humidity and moisture levels in a water-damaged environment are not promptly returned to normal, mold spores may grow and multiply. Organic materials found inside buildings, such as wood, paper, drywall, and insulation, provide food sources for mold to flourish. Excessive mold growth can lead to indoor environmental conditions that pose a health threat.
Health concerns may arise when excessive mold grows indoors. Concerns are more likely to arise for 'at risk' people. People most at risk include:
-infants and children
- people with compromised respiratory systems or asthma and allergies
-people with weakened immune systems
If you think you have a mold problem, please contact a professional near you to take a look and treat it.
1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines
Did you know one of the reasons we are so unique is our 1-4-8 Service Response Guideline? This helps us ensure timely communication and response to the situation. Quick and accurate response time minimizes your loss expenses.
1 - Within one hour from the notice of the loss, a SERVPRO Franchise Professional contacts the insured to arrange for services to be done.
4 - Within four hours from the notice of the loss, a SERVPRO Franchise Professional is on-site ready to start mitigation services when mitigation is necessary
8 - Within eight hours from the notice of the loss, a SERVPRO Franchise Professional contacts the insurance adjuster to give a verbal briefing of what the job entails and what their plans are moving forward.
Refer to https://www.SERVPRO.com/emergency-restoration to see a water damage timeline on how quickly water damage can take effect of everything from drywall swelling to mold forming.
The Do's & Don'ts of Fire & Smoke Damage
- Limit Movement within the area to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets
- Keep hands clean as dirty hands can further soil items when touched
- Place dry, colorfast towels on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- Empty fridge/freezer completely and prop the door open if the electric is off
- Clean any soot from chrome on kitchen/bathroom faucets, trim, and appliances and protect with a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil if possible
- Pour RV antifreeze into sinks, toilet bowls, and tubs if heat is off and weather is of freezing conditions
- Wash house plant leaves on both sides
- Change HVAC filters
- Tape a double layer of cheesecloth over air registers to help keep soot from getting into or out of the HVAC system
- Attempt to wash walls or painted surfaces without contacting your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional first
- Attempt to shampoo carpets or upholstered furniture without consulting with your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Consume any food or beverage in or near the area as it may be contaminated
- Turn on ceiling fixtures
- Send garments to dry cleaning services as improper cleaning may set in the smoke odor.
If you have further questions on what you should or should not do, or to handle a claim, contact us at 717.300.3347 and we will be happy to assist you.
Carpet and Drapery Cleaning
Did you know your carpets will last longer if you get them cleaned regularly? It is recommended you vacuum your carpets with a beater brush type vacuum with good suction frequently and get them professionally cleaned at least once a year. Most professionals use hot water extraction cleaning which is the method recommended by DuPont, Monsanto, and Allied Fibers. If you have pets, high traffic areas, or extra soil on your carpets, you may want to talk with a professional about having them cleaned more frequently.
Also good practice is to have your drapery cleaned on a regular basis. It is recommended to have them professionally cleaned once every 2 years provided you have a smoke free home and depending on your heating system. Lightly vacuuming the drapes on a regular basis will also help keep them looking fresh and clean. Although direct sunlight is often to blame for fabric deterioration in color, it is often caused by oily atmospheric soil.
To Schedule your cleaning with one of our professionals, give SERVPRO of Shippensburg/Perry County a call at 717.300.3347.
When was the last time you changed the hoses on your washing machine?
Are you aware that a $20 hose can save you thousands in damages? Check your hose and take time to go to your local hardware store to get a new one if it looks like it may not be up to par.